IBM Lotus Symphony

Last time I squeezed my pocket for some dough to buy MS Office 2003; yeah it hurt.  Then, I switched over to Linux, which made my Office 2003 a total obsolete; it hurt again!  But then came lights, I started using Open Office and it was very similar to Office 2003 but it was an Open Source software.  At the time, I felt like a pirate taking something so wonderful from someone for ... free. It was like, for the first time ever in my life, I was getting away with trouble.  For those who are former Windows users, you probably understand where I am coming from.  I must mention though, the definition of Open Source is not free as in Freebies.  Better yet, Open Source grants the users access to the source code and the ability to alter the code that best fit their applications and uses. So here, Open Source is free as in Freedom and free in exchanging and improving the source code through communities of users and developers alike.  Having said that, users of Open Source software are not given a free ride; you and I must chip in a few minutes, hours, days, etc... to share our knowledge and experience to others just as many before us have done willingly and unselfishly.   This blog exists to serve that very purpose, sharing knowledge.

Anyway, if you are still here: Thank You.  I just discovered IBM Lotus Symphony, a superb alternative to Open Office! It is Open Source. And yes, it is multi-platform! It only took me about five minutes to have it installed in my Linux Mint 10 machine. It is sleek, modern, and fast (much faster than Open Office.)  Sounds exciting? Oh yeah.

Oh, did I forget to mention that you can still open all MS Office documents in Symphony? Yes, you can. You can create a new document and save it as the same type as an Office document.  In fact, I highly recommend that you continue to keep all of your documents' extensions the same as in MS Office; in this way, your documents can be opened by either MS Office, Open Office, or Symphony.

Click here to visit the IBM Lotus Symphony official site.  You can download the application once you register with IBM.  I think you can only download the 64-bit version there.  If you have the 32-bit machine, click here to download IBM Lotus Symphony 3 beta 4 for Linux.

0 comments:

Post a Comment